Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Self Portrait Number 12

Another week with very little time to draw. When I was about to sit down on Friday night, suddenly there was a plumbing problem to attend to. Saturday we celebrated my 50th birthday and other than getting some art supplies and arraigning my pencils, there was no time to draw.

Sunday, I finally sat down and I chose a still image from a movie a friend took with my phone while I was at my birthday cake. But Sunday I couldn't make a go of it. I started five or six times and abandoned each time.

Yesterday, Monday, March 30th I had some success:


I am very satisfied in how this one turned out even though I have more of a bubble head and the shadow looks more like some sort of ancient helmet.  What I like about it is the glasses.

Ultimately, this was a very challenging portrait. It is the first time I tried to draw a profile and at the same time there was so much shadow and shading to contend with. One part I really struggled with was getting the glasses right and in the end I think I got the nose and the glasses pretty well.

I do wish I had started the portrait more to the right side of the page but after so many false starts I decided to concentrate on the face and so I ran out of room for the corner of the birthday cake and the candles.  Oh well. It is only number 12.

Bonus features: For the party, I decided to hang all of the drawings I felt were complete. It is nice to see so many considering I only started on January 7 when there may have been a sacred geometry drawing or two but nothing more:

No comments:

Post a Comment